Roast Caulifower with a twist
gluten free, vegan, nut free, soy free, wheat free
Serves: 2 – 6 people [depending on cauliflower size]
This is our take on roast Cauliflower – with a difference to impress your family & friends. Serving a whole cauli certainly makes an impression, and by adding savoury yeast you achieve a delicious nutty, cheese taste that goes well with any meal.
It’s perfect for those following a gluten free & vegan diet too – so everyone can savour the cheese flavour! Enjoy on its own, or as a mouth-watering side to any meal. Easy to prepare as well…which makes this a winner in our house!
WHAT IS SAVOURY YEAST?
Savoury yeast is a great staple to have on hand, for adding a little cheesy taste to your savoury meals.
It’s perfect for those on a gluten free & vegan diet, as it’s a tasty dairy free alternative to cheese.
Also called Nutritional Yeast – it’s essentially yeast that is deactivated (meaning it can no longer ferment) and often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
It comes from the same family as brewers or bakers yeast. It’s a wonderful complete protein, as it contains all nine essential amino acids, which we humans need to source from foods to help us grow & function properly. Whilst some of the best amino acids come from animal protein sources, vegetarians & vegans can grab some extra help from savoury yeast!
It’s an ideal partner to veggie bakes, home made pizzas, baked sweet potato, pasta and so much more!
whole organic cauliflower
organic extra virgin olive oil OR coconut oil
1/3 cup - Lotus savoury yeast flakes
Himalayan sea salt
paprika & cumin to season
1. Wash & dry cauliflower head and discard of any leaves, cutting steam down so it sits nicely on a baking tray.
2. Preheat oven to 190 degrees & line a baking dish.
3. Add caul head to a bowl, drizzle with at least 3 TBS of Olive oil.
4. Sprinkle cumin & paprika (1/2 tsp of each or more if you like a stronger spice!) plus a good sprinkle of Himalayan Sea Salt.
5. Using your hands, carefully rub the oil, salt & spices all over the cauli head ensuring it’s well covered.
6. Lastly – add Savoury yeast to the top and mix in as well with your fingers.
7. Place cauli in the oven and roast for at least 30 – 40 minutes or until soft & warm. The top should be nice & browned.
8. Remove from the oven and top with a little more savoury yeast if a stronger cheese flavour is desired.
9. You can also make this by slicing the cauli into ‘steaks’ and baking covered in seasoning – which makes it easier to eat / serve.