Raw Hot Cross Bun Slice
This raw slice is inspired by the delicious baked Easter treat, the humble Hot Cross Bun. Most people find the smell of Hot Cross Buns extremely desirable. Although some are met with the gloom of dietary requirements, food allergies or sensitivities forbidding them to have a bun.
This slice will fill your mouth with the flavours of Easter. Made from wholesome ingredients, imbedded with all-spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and sultanas to create the classic ‘Hot Cross Bun’ flavour. To add something a little special, we have covered the whole slice in white vegan chocolate. Feel free to not use chocolate, create a cross, if you know your slice size, or just drizzle if you would like to use less chocolate.
By no means will this totally remove the feelings of disappointment or desire to consume a soft, sweet, fluffy Hot Cross Bun, but it will lessen the blow and is also a healthy snack or treat.
Recipe by Laura Scherian of Shez’s Kitchen
Vegan | Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Egg-free
MAKES: Approximately 12
PREP: 20 minutes
FRIDGE TIME: 1 hour +
- 2 ½ – 3 cups OWN walnuts
- 16 organic Medjool dates, seed removed
- ¼ cup Kunara coconut oil
- ¼ cup Absolute Organic maple syrup
- ½ cup OWN sultanas
- 1 heaped tsp. Simply Organic cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Planet Organic all spice
- 1/8 tsp. Planet Organic nutmeg
- vegan white chocolate (or any chocolate), desired amount (optional)
- In a food processor, blitz dates until they form a ball, then set aside. Next, blitz 2 ½ cups of walnuts until a crumb consistency is formed, add spices and combine again.
- Add date mixture to food processor and combine with walnut crumbs.
- Next, add coconut oil and maple syrup, then blitz again until combined. The mixture should hold it’s shape when a ball is formed. If mixture is too soft, add walnuts until desired consistency is achieved.
- Finally, add sultanas and pulse 2-3 times only, just enough to distribute the sultanas into the mixture.
- Press mixture into a slice tin lined with baking paper and push into an even layer using your hands. If preferred, this mixture makes delicious bliss balls, just roll into balls instead.
- If topping with chocolate, melt preferred amount and either pour or drizzle onto slice for desired effect. Place in fridge or freezer to set for at least 1 hour. Remove from fridge/freezer and slice to serve.
NOTE: Store in fridge or freezer until required.