Mexican Pizza Pockets
Who would have though a can of baked beans could taste so great? These delicious parcels are perfect for an easy Sunday night dinner, quick ‘meatless Monday’ meal or a great addition to the lunchbox. They are full of tasty Mexican vegetables and gooey cheese, all wrapped up in a little parcel.
The inspiration of this recipe came from the classic tuckshop pizza pocket. For those not familiar, a pizza pocket is a soft white dough filled with cheesy pizza ingredients. although delicious, probably not very nutritious. However, these little Mexican parcels tick both these boxes, are super simple and a whole meal in a parcel, so great!
If you prefer regular cheese, go for it, I love using Barambah cheese slices! Also, if you would like to add more protein, shredded chicken or some tuna are both great additions.
Recipe. by Laura Scherian of Shez’s Kitchen
MAKES: 4 parcels
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. Absolute organic olive oil
- ½ organic red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. Mingle spicy Mexican mix
- ½ organic red capsicum, finely diced
- ½ organic green capsicum, finely diced
- 1 organic corn cob, kernels removed
- 1 organic carrot, grated
- 1 can organic baked beans
- 4 slices Green Vie cheddar cheese flavour slices (Any cheese will work, use regular cheese if you do not require the recipe to be vegan)
- 4 medium-large wraps of your choice, use gluten-free if needed
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup Byron Bay Chilli Co. salsa
- ½ organic avocado, cubed and seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon juice
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat and sauté onion until they turn opaque.
- Add Mingle Mexican mix and fry off until 1-2 minutes. Add all vegetables to the pan and continue stirring with a wooden spoon until cooked, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Add baked beans and keep stirring until heated through, about 3-5 minutes and season to taste. Then turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Turn on sandwich press to preheat whilst constructing the parcels.
- Place 4 wraps on the bench and put 1 piece of cheese in the middle and top with Mexican mixture, be careful to not overfill. Fold all sides of wraps over mixture to form a parcel.
- Place parcels in sandwich press folded size down, and close the lid. Cook until golden on both sides. Slice in half and serve with salsa and avocado if desired.