Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
Wake up to the smell of warm hot cross buns on the Easter long weekend. Comforting, traditional and so delicious – creating your own gluten-free buns is easy and a fun activity for the kids!
Gluten free, dairy free*
* choose dairy-free milk and coconut oil instead of butter.
14g dried yeast
1 ½ cups warm milk of choice
750g Flannerys Own gluten-free plain flour
½ cup Flannerys Own Rapadura sugar
3 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp Himalayan sea salt (fine)
1 cup Flannerys Own organic sultanas
125g butter (melted) or coconut oil + extra for glazing
2 organic, free range eggs, lightly beaten
1. In a small jug, combine the yeast with ½ cup of the warm milk. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Set aside ¼ cup flour. In a large bowl, combine the remaining flour, sugar, mixed spice, sea salt and sultanas. Create a well in the centre.
3. Gently stir in yeast mixture, melted butter (or coconut oil), eggs and enough of the remaining warm milk to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
4. Clean and lightly grease the large bowl, then return dough, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place where it won’t be disturbed for 45 minutes or until doubled.
5. Heat oven to 190 degrees. Grease a 20” cake tin.
6. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, knead for a few minutes, then divide into equal 12 pieces. Arrange pieces next to each other tightly in the tin.
7. Brush buns with the extra butter or coconut oil to glaze. Add a few tablespoons of water to the ¼ cup reserved flour to make a thick paste. Add to a piping bag or zip lock bag with a cut corner, then pipe crosses on each piece.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!