Garlic Spelt Pullapart Loaf
Vegan | Low in gluten
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
OWN Spelt is a fantastic option for those seeking lower-gluten flour alternatives for easier digestion (note, spelt is not GF and is simply lower in gluten). Spelt, which is similar to wheat, is said to contain a more impressive nutritional profile due to a sturdier husk, which is able to retain more nutrients. OWN Certified Organic White Spelt Flour has a delicious nutty flavour to complement any meal, and is made free of synthetic pesticides.
This pullapart loaf is perfect for the upcoming festive season, a delicious starter that everyone can share and smells incredible.
- 3 cups OWN spelt
- 1 ¼ tsp. bi-carb soda
- 1 ¼ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. garlic paste
- 2 tsp. OWN rapadura (or sugar of choice)
- ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 3/4 cup Nutty Bruce almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl, place 1.5 cups of the spelt flour along with the other dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- In a separate microwave safe container, place the liquid ingredients. Microwave for 25 seconds, and stir to combine.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the large mixing bowl with dry ingredients. Use a whisk to combine. The result will be quite a wet mixture.
- Bit-by-bit, add the remaining spelt flour and stir until mixture becomes a dough.
- Lightly flour a clean surface, and turn out your dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes, until your dough is manageable and clean.
- Pull apart into 6 equal pieces, and roll into large balls. Place side-by-side in a greased baking tin.
- Allow dough to rest for 20 minutes, before placing in oven. Bake for approx. 15 minutes.
- Enjoy buttered or with your favourite soup.
Recipe by Lauren Clayton-Smith