Cauliflower Tacos with Cashew Sauce
Cook time: 45 minutes
Tacos are surely one of everyone’s favourite meals. Bringing Mexican vibes to the dinner table is always festive and fun, especially while enjoying delicious tacos. These cauliflower tacos are jam-packed with flavour, and are a healthy meat-free alternative to the original taco.
What nutrients are we talking about?
Cauliflower is vegetable that belongs to the cruciferous family, a family known for their health promoting and disease preventative effects. Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a compound that has been shown to be extremely beneficial in the prevention of many chronic diseases. Cauliflower also reduces inflammation in the body, assists with liver detoxification and boosts heart and brain health. Cauliflower is also rich in fibre, as well as various vitamins and minerals.
- ½ a Cauliflower
- 1 tbsp of Pure Earth Organic Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Simply Organic chilli powder
- 1 tsp of Simply Organic ground cumin
- ½ tsp Simply Organic garlic powder
- ½ tsp Simply Organic onion powder or garlic granules
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/8th tsp coriander seeds ground
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ Spanish onion, diced
- Lime wedges to serve (optional)
- ¼ cup of Purple cabbage, chopped
- Fresh herbs to serve (optional)
- 1 avocado, cut into slices or mashed into guacamole
- Tortillas (enough for 4 people)
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Pickled jalapeños to serve (optional)
For the cashew sauce:
- ½ cup of OWN cashews
- 1 tbsp of OWN nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Wash cauliflower and break into florets. In a bowl mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper and olive oil. Mix the cauliflower into the spices and then spread it out on a lined baking tray. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring half way, until the cauliflower is tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, make the cashew sauce by putting the cashews in a glass-measuring cup followed by enough boiling water to cover the cashews. Soak for 20-30 minutes until soft. Strain the cashews and put in a high-speed blender with the lemon juice and water. Set aside.
- Prepare the cabbage, avocado and Spanish onion by thinly slicing them (or mashing the avocado). Cut the lime into wedges.
- Heat the tortillas according to packet instructions.
- Take a tortilla and place the cauliflower in the centre, top with the cabbage, avocado, onion, cashew sauce, pickled jalapeños, a squeeze of lime and fresh herbs.
Recipe by: Maddie Bingham