Janella’s Yoghurt Sikarni
I really like saffron and, even though it’s not used very often in desserts, it’s lovely in this sweet spiced yoghurt. You’ll need to start this luscious recipe the day before you want to serve it. It’s worth it.
Serves 4 – 6
- 780 g (1 lb 11½ oz/3 cups) plain yoghurt
- 260 g (9¼ oz/1 cup) quark
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 150 g (5½ oz/1 cup) raw unsalted pistachio nuts
- 90 g (3¼ oz/¼ cup) syrup sweetener pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine the yoghurt and quark and pour into a large muslin- lined colander set over a large bowl. Allow to drain for about 12 hours. Transfer the yoghurt mixture to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the saffron in a little lukewarm water.
- Meanwhile, chop half of the pistachios. Reserve the rest.
- Add the saffron, sweetener, cinnamon, pepper, cardamom, nutmeg and the chopped pistachios to the drained yoghurt mixture and fold in thoroughly. Chill overnight in the fridge.
- To serve, scoop a cup of the chilled sikarni into each serving bowl and top with a generous amount of the reserved pistachios.
Recipe by Janella Purcell
Naturopath & Nutritionist