Watermelon, chilli & goats cheese salad
Gluten free | Vegetarian | Nut free
Prep and cook time: 10 minutes
This watermelon salad is the PERFECT summer hydrator! With the combination of watermelon, cucumber and lime as the hero ingredients, the water density of this recipe, is extremely high and would make the perfect addition to any summer barbeque to combat excess fluid loss in the warmer months.
Watermelon is almost 92% water, and although has a glycemic index of 72 (considered high) it has a glycemic load of 2 meaning the total carbohydrate/sugar content of the fruit is extremely low. Watermelon is also enriched in vitamin C, carotenoids such as lycopene- an extremely potent antioxidant and citrulline. In addition to this, watermelon is also a good source of B1, B6, potassium and magnesium. If this is not a thousand reasons to make this salad, i’m not sure what is.
- ½ x seedless watermelon
- 2 x Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 – 2 x chilli (depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 x bunch fresh mint
- ¼ x red onion
- 320g Meredith dairy marinated goat’s cheese
- juice of 2 x limes
- generous pinch of salt.
- On a large chopping board, remove the skin from the watermelon, and cut into slices around 1cm thick, and then into cubes (roughly 1cm x 1cm).
- Chop the cucumber and chilli length ways into quarters, and then slice.
- Slice red onion finely and chop mint.
- In a large bowl, assemble watermelon, mint, chilli, cucumber and red onion and toss together.
- Add goats cheese to the top of the salad, squeeze lime juice, sprinkle with salt, and serve.
Recipe by Bridget Hunt