Warming Vegetable Minestrone Soup
Dairy-Free | Gluten-Free | Vegan
PREP: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
Here is a hearty soup that is full of flavour and all the vegetables your heart desires. It is so adaptable and foolproof, perfect for and midweek isolation family meal and ready in under an hour! It is also a perfect meal to drop to an elderly family member, neighbour or friend that might be isolated at home and would love a home cooked meal delivery to brighten their day!
This soup is full of colour, mix and match whatever veggies you have available in the fridge and the ones your family love, the more the merrier. With this high vegetable content comes an extraordinary amount of vitamins and minerals. The whole family will love this, even the kids, especially with a sprinkling of their favourite cheese or a slice of crusty bread to dip in. Tip: cut the veggies really small if you have any fussy eaters and cook the pumpkin and sweet potato a little longer so it mushes through the soup and can’t be picked out!
- 2 Tbsp. Melrose extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium organic brown onion, diced
- 1 medium organic carrot, diced
- 2 organic celery stalks, diced
- 2 organic garlic cloves, diced
- 1 small organic sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 200g organic pumpkin, diced (larger than potato)
- 2 large handfuls of chopped kale
- 400g Ceres Organic canned tomatoes
- 400g Ceres Organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. Nutra Organic vegetable broth
- 2 Simply Organic bay leaves
- 75g Eco Organic pasta (any will work)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped organic parsley
- 2 Tbsp. chopped organic basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender and caramelised.
- Add sweet potato and pumpkin, cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water, stock and bay leaves and bring to the boil.
- Add the beans, pasta and kale. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked and the soup has slightly thickened.
- Season the soup to your liking and serve topped with chopped herbs, a drizzle of olive oil and/or parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe by Laura Scherian