Vegan Tom Kha Soup
Vegan | Dairy Free
Cook time: 30 minutes
Thai cuisine is probably one of the most enjoyed cuisines by people around the world. Known for their fresh, aromatic flavours, and slightly spicy dishes. As the saying goes “we eat with our eyes”, emphasising the importance of aroma, texture, colour and detail in food, which Thai cooking definitely celebrates. Tom Kha soup is essentially Tom Yum soup with the addition of coconut milk. It has a spicy and sour flavour, which is balanced out perfectly with coconut milk. This dish uses tofu as the main source of protein, while the traditional Tom Yum uses prawns, but as you’ll soon find out, this dish can still pack a punch without them.
What nutrients are in this dish?
This dish is wonderful in the cooler months as it is packed full of garlic, onion and chilli, which are commonly known to boost immunity. Cherry tomatoes, lime and galangal, are rich sources of vitamin C, further enhancing the immune-boosting effects.
Organic tofu is a great source of plant-based protein, containing all nine essential amino acids. It is also full of minerals including calcium, iron, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and vitamin B1.
Mushrooms are high in Vitamin D and B vitamins, which are also beneficial for the immune system.
Bok Choy is abundant in calcium, which is great for supporting the musculoskeletal, nervous and cardiovascular systems.
- 1 block of Earnest Bean Tofu, chopped into cubes.
- 2 ½ cups of Nutra Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup of Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
- 400ml can of Absolute Organic coconut milk
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Perfect Earth Rice Pasta (Pad Thai)
- 1 sachet of Lush Delights Tom Yum Thai Soup Medium Recipe Base 60g
- 1 bunch of Bok Choy, steamed
- ½ a medium brown onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 spoonful of coconut sugar
- 2 limes
- 2 tsp of Pure Food Essentials Organic Chilli Pepper Powder
- 2 tbsp Cocomino Fysh sauce (optional)
- 3 stalks of shallots thinly sliced, to serve (optional)
- 1 bruised stalk of lemongrass (optional)
- Sauté the Tom Yum paste, onion and garlic in a large saucepan. Once it becomes fragrant add the tofu and let fry for a further minute, stirring continuously. Add 100ml of the vegetable broth to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the coconut milk, followed by the coconut sugar, fysh sauce and chilli pepper powder.
- Add in the rest of the vegetable broth, along with the mushrooms, the juice of one lime, and cherry tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then close the lid and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Steam the Bok Choy for 1-2 minutes or until tender, and put aside for serving.
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions.
- Serve the noodles into 4 bowls, followed by the soup and Bok Choy.
- Serve with fresh herbs, shallots, and a lime wedge.
Recipe by: Maddie Bingham