Vegan Gingerbread Donuts with Rosewater Icing
VEGAN | NUT FREE
Cook time: 30 minutes
Recipe by @becsvegankitchen
A healthy take on the traditional donut, just in time for the festive season. These gingerbread donuts are completely vegan, wholesome and simple to make.
The addition of the Chefs Choice Rose Water in the whipped coconut cream icing is a beautiful surprise when you bite into the donut.
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds or linseed and 3 tablespoons cold water, whisked together and set aside to thicken for 15 minutes)
- 115g Flannerys OWN dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 1 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats)
- 1 tablespoon Flannerys OWN rapadura sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup Oatly Organic oat milk
- 8 tablespoons canned coconut cream, place the can of coconut cream in the fridge overnight so that the cream separates from the liquid (you will want to use the thick part of the coconut cream for the icing)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Chefs Choice rose water
- 1 drop rose pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place all of the donut ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture in a medium donut tray or donut pan and smooth it out with the back of your spoon (it will be approximately 2 tablespoons of mixture per donut hole).
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the donut centre.
- Remove tray from the oven and allow to cool completely before attempting to remove them from the tray.
- In a medium mixing bowl add 4 tablespoons of the thick part of the coconut cream, the maple syrup, rose water and food colouring. Whip together with an electric beater for 5 minutes.
- Place the icing in the fridge for 30-60 minutes or until thickened.
- Dip the top of the donuts into the icing and place onto a plate. Place the plate in the the freezer to harden the icing. Repeat this process twice to ensure a thick coating, smoothing out or adding extra texture with the back of a spoon.
- Store the donuts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.