Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Recipe by @becsvegankitchen
Tis the season! There’s not much that tops freshly baked gingerbread, and it makes a thoughtful and easy gift for a loved one (or yourself, as you watch Christmas movies in bed).
- 3 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup OWN rapadura sugar
- 3/4 cup golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup and vanilla extract and beat again until blended.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, beating or hand mixing after every small increment.
- The mixture should resemble a dough.
- Divide the dough into two halves and roll each into a ball. Wrap each ball tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place the dough into the fridge to chill for 2 – 3 hours.
- Once the dough has chilled, heat the oven to 180 degrees bake.
- Sprinkle the kitchen bench or a flat surface lightly with flour, remove one of the dough balls from the fridge, unwrap it and roll it out using a rolling pin.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut shapes out of the dough and transfer to a tray lined with baking paper leaving 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack. Complete these steps until all of the dough has been used up.