VEGAN ANZAC ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
SERVES: 6-8 ice cream sandwiches
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
Fancy an Anzac biscuit but with an added boost? Our friends from Pure Harvest have paired their favourite vegan ice cream with these crispy Anzac cookies for a healthier indulgent dessert option. The texture of the Anzac cookie combined with the creamy, smooth ice cream provides the ultimate dessert in our opinion, I mean who doesn’t like an good ice cream sandwich?
Recipe courtesy of: Pure Harvest
1 cup OWN Organic spelt flour
1 cup OWN Organic desiccated coconut
1 cup OWN Organic rolled oats
3/4 cup OWN Organic coconut sugar
125 g OWN Organic EV coconut oil
2 tbsp Pureharvest Rice Malt Syrup
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
3-4 tbsp boiling water
1 tub of your favourite flavour of Cocofrio (to keep the recipe vegan choose your favourite vegan flavour ice cream, we have heaps to choose from at Flannerys Organic & Wholefood Market)
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place the flour, coconut, rolled oats and coconut sugar in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
2. Place the coconut oil and rice malt syrup in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 mins or until melted. Set aside for 5 mins to cool slightly.
3. Combine 1 1/2 tbsp boiling water and the bicarbonate of soda in a small bowl. Add to the oat mixture along with the coconut oil mixture. Stir until well combined. If the mixture is a little crumbly at this point add 1-2 tbsp of hot water, just enough so you can bring the mixture into balls. It is a crumbly mixture by nature so be patient and don’t add too much water as it will mean the biscuits don’t come out crispy at the end.
4. Roll tablespoon of the mixture into balls and place on the lined trays, allowing space for spreading. Gently press each ball to flatten slightly. Bake for 12 mins for crisp biscuits. Set aside on the trays to cool completely. The biscuits will harden as they cool.
5. To assemble the ice cream sandwiches: Take two biscuits. Place one biscuit onto a plate, put a large scoop of ice cream on top of the biscuit. Take the second biscuit and place on top of the ice cream. Firmly press down to ensure the ice cream is firmly in place.
6. Now, the only thing left to do is tuck in!!