Ultimate Cheesy Mushroom Toastie
Cook: 15 minutes
The winter months are well and truly here and everyone LOVES a warm toastie for breakfast, lunch and even dinner! Loaded with organic, fresh produce this combination is not one to miss. We love the incorporation of Peace, Love and Vegetables cashew cheese which is loaded with probiotics making it a delicious way to improve gut health. If you’re wanting a vegan option, replace grated cheese with your favourite vegan cheese.
- 2 slices organic bread (we love ancient grains)
- 5-7 organic mushrooms (roughly sliced)
- 2 tbsp Peace, Love & Vegetables Cashew Cheese (this gives quite a thick layer so adjust to amount you like)
- 1 cup organic spinach
- 1/4 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp organic butter
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a fry pan and cook off mushrooms with salt and pepper. Once softened, take off the heat and stir through spinach until wilted and set aside.
- Very lightly toast bread and heavily butter the outsides and spread cashew cheese on the insides.
- Place one slice on the heated sandwich press and add mushroom mixture, sunflower sprouts and grated cheese (if using) place lid on and salt the top of the sandwich and press down.
- Allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown (gets better the longer you can cook it without burning)
- Remove from press and slice in half.
Recipe by Emily Smith