Sweet Potato and black bean vegetarian enchiladas
prep: 20 mins
cook: 40 mins
These vegetarian enchiladas are perfect for meat-free Mondays, or for a vegetarian option that the whole family will love! They are the perfect combo between tacos, burritos and nachos!
Black beans are an extremely wonderful source of dietary fibre and protein. 1 cup of black beans provides roughly15 grams of fibre and over 15 grams of protein. The Recommended dietary intake for fibre is roughly 25g-30g/day for men and women (28g/day in pregnancy). Of this fibre, a large portion is called resistant starch, as the name suggests, it resists digestion. Once the beans reach our large colon, the fibres are fermented by our colonic bacteria and produce short-chain fatty acids that supply our intestinal cells, fuel and protection. This fibre content dramatically impacts the glycaemic index of beans giving them a low rating having minimal impacts on blood glucose absorption and an insulin response.
- 2-3 small sweet potatoes
- 1 x tbsp. olive oil
- 2 x brown onions
- 4 x cloves of garlic minced
- 2 x tsp cumin
- 1 x tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 x tsp salt
- 1 x juice of lime
- 1 x packet ancient harvest quinoa and spelt wraps (5 wraps)
- 1 x cup grated Bramabah oranics tasty cheddar certified organic cheese
- ½ x avocado for topping
- Meredith Dairy sheeps yoghurt
- 1 x brown onion
- 4 x cloves of garlic
- 2 ½ x cups passata
- 1 x tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ x tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180 – 200 degrees.
- Dice sweet potato and pop onto a lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt a pepper and pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes (time may vary depending on oven heat).
- In the meantime, add passata, brown onion, garlic, ground cumin and salt to a high powered blender and blend until completely blended together.
- Over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil to a frypan. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent and soft.
- Add cumin, paprika and chilli flakes to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant
- Add drained and rinsed black beans, sweet potato and the lime juice to the pan and stir until beans and sweet potato are partially softened
- In a baking dish, line and fill wraps with the sweet potato and black bean filling. Roll them over and secure them with a toothpick
- Cover wraps with the enchilada sauce and top with grated cheese.
- Pop baking dish back into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with sliced avocado and coriander to serve.
Recipe by Bridget Hunt