Quinoa Pesto bowls
A comforting nutritious meal that is full of flavour.
Our Quinoa Pesto bowls feature a few of our favourite powerhouse ingredients.
There’s quinoa, a superhero “grain” that isn’t really a grain. It contains all the essential amino acids making it a complete protein. It is also gluten free, high in fibre and rich in other vitamins & minerals.
We’ve also chucked in some kale. The “queen of the greens” kale is high in fibre and has zero fat. It is also high in iron, vitamin K, A, C, calcium & antioxidants.
For some crunch and flavour we have also added in the almighty walnut. Walnuts, the nuts that look like brains, are packed full of vitamins & minerals. They are a rich source of healthy fats and contain very little unhealthy saturated fats. Walnuts are one of the very few sources of plant based omega-3 fats. Read more here.
- 1 1/2 cups of Flannerys Own Organic Walnuts
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- Juice of 2 limes or lemons
- 2 TBS Flannerys Own Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup Flannerys Own Organic Quinoa, cooked
- 1/4 cup Flannerys Own Organic Walnuts, roasted & roughly chopped
- 1 TBS chilli flakes
- 1 small handful kale, chopped finely
- 4 organic free range eggs, optional
- Lemon wedges to serve
- To make the pesto add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor & process until well combined.
- In a fry pan add the quinoa, walnuts, chilli and pesto and gently combine over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, poach or fry eggs.
- With the heat turned off stir through the kale then transfer the mixture to bowls & top with eggs – enjoy!