Pumpkin & Walnut Spelt Ravioli
This isn’t the easiest or quickest dish to make but we promise it is worth every second. If you have a pasta maker and/or a ravioli maker it will make things a little easier but not 100% necessary. We hope you enjoy this one just as much as we do.
Ingredient (Spelt Pasta)
- 2 cups Flannerys Own White Spelt Flour
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 TBS Flannerys Own Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Ingredients (Pumpkin & Walnut Filling)
- 1 cup Flannerys Own Walnut Halves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped or grated
- 1 TBS ghee
- 1 TBS Flannerys Own Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Flannerys Own Fine Himalayan Salt
- 3/4 cup cooked pumpkin
Ingredients (Burnt Butter)
- 3 TBS ghee
- 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 TBS Flannerys Own Walnut Halves, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper to season
- For the pasta, sift the flour and the salt into a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs and the olive oil.
- Make a well in the flour and stir in the eggs and the oil with a spoon.
- Bring the dough together by kneading the mix. Cover in cling wrap and rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the filling, in a fry pan over medium heat, melt the ghee. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the walnuts, coconut sugar, thyme and the salt, cooking until the walnuts are browned.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the pumpkin.
- Roll out the pasta with a pasta machine or rolling pin and cut in 4-5 sheets.
- Fold the each sheet along its mid-line to make a light crease and then re-open it.
- Spoon roughly 1 teaspoon of filling approximately three centimeters away from each other on the bottom half of the pasta sheets. Wet the edges of the pasta.
- Fold the pasta sheet over along the light crease pressing forward from the crease to remove excess air.
- Cut the ravioli into squares.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil and reduce the heat. Carefully drop the ravioli into the water and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove ravioli from the pot.
- In a small fry pan (you can use the same pan as the pumpkin mix for extra flavour) add the burnt butter ingredients over a medium heat. Once the walnuts are browned add the ravioli and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese (if desired).