Maple ‘Bacon’ Tofu Vegan Breakfast
GLUTEN FREE | VEGAN | DAIRY FREE | NUT FREE
Cook time: 30 minutes
Recipe by @becsvegankitchen
This recipe is for you when you are bored of smoothie bowls and overnight oats for breakfast. Behold my bacon tofu crumble (without the oink.)
An easy weekend go-to for when you want something different for a vegan breakfast or are craving that smokey savoury flavour.
I love Freedom Broken Black Rice & Polenta Sourdough as it takes the fuss out of nutrition for me. Full of nothing but the good stuff, vegan and gluten free which I know is amazing for my family.
- 1 block of organic tofu
- 1 tablespoon Absolute Organic Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Pure Harvest GF Tamari
- 1 tablespoon smokey bbq sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or standard paprika
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Gluten Freedom Broken Black Rice & Polenta Sourdough
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly or mashed
- Handful vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, roasted or panfried
- Dairy-free butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan bake.
- Crumble the tofu into a medium-sized mixing bowl, keeping the crumbs as small or large as you would like. Sometimes a balanced mixture is key.
- Add the soy sauce, bbq sauce, paprika, olive oil, black pepper and maple syrup to the tofu and combine well.
- Pour the tofu onto a baking tray or roasting dish, spreading it out evenly so that it is only one layer. Place into the oven, stirring occasionally for approx 20 minutes or until it has cooked to your liking. I prefer mine in for the longest time possible so that the smaller crumbs get black and crunchy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Toast the sourdough bread and lather with a layer of dairy free butter.
- Assemble the toasts on 2 plates, fan out the sliced avocado, scoop on the bacon tofu and place the burst and roasted tomatoes on top. Crack some extra black pepper on top, be mindful with the salt as the tofu already contains Tamari (GF Soy Sauce) which is naturally salty tasting.