Kefir Choc Brownies with Macadamias
This is a great recipe to use up any extra or soured Kefir you may have in the fridge.
Kefir is a fermented milk drink made from living kefir ‘grains’ or a kefir starter sachet. Those with a strong milk intolerance to dairy should look for coconut, rice or soy kefirs. With consistency similar to runny yoghurt, raw kefir provides an abundance of friendly probiotic bacteria and yeasts for a healthy gut!
Bear in mind this recipe requires heating the raw Kefir so most of the probiotic benefits will be lost. Kefir is used here as a substitute to milk or yoghurt – and is a lactose friendly product!
2 cups Kefir (home-made or store bought) or yoghurt of your choice
1 cup Flannerys Own Organic Coconut Flour
1 cup Flannerys Own Organic Cacao Powder
1/2 cup Flannerys Own Macadamia Halves
1/4 cup Flannerys Own Organic Maple Syrup
1/4 tsp Flannerys Own Fine Himalayan Salt
1 tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste or Extract
1 tsp Baking Soda
1. Set your oven to 180°C.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the macadamia halves.
3. Mix in the macadamia and distribute evenly.
4. Pour into a lined dish and bake in the over for 25–30 mins. The brownies are cooked when an inserted knife comes out almost clean.
5. Allow to cool for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack.
6. Cut into squares and store in a sealed container.
7. Keep at room temperature.