Hummingbird Cake with Whipped Ricotta Icing
Hummingbird Cake has to be one of the most underrated baked goods. If you haven’t experienced the humble Hummingbird cake, think tropical flavours. Banana, pineapple, and coconut, all wrapped up in a deliciously moist cake.
This cake is made from quality and wholesome ingredients in addition to being full of fibre from all the fruit and wholemeal flour. Plus, the cake itself is free from refined sugar with the banana and pineapple providing the majority of the sweetness, with a little maple syrup.
The Hummingbird cake is traditionally dressed in cream cheese icing. However, this one is dressed with whipped ricotta or to make this dairy-free use Well & Good plant-based whipping cream. Plus, feel free to have it naked or to make some cream cheese icing if preferred.
Do not be discouraged by the list of ingredients, this cake is easy to make and the majority can be found in most pantries!
Recipe by Laura Scherian
Serves: 8-10 people
GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY FREE
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40-50 minutes
- 2 ripe organic bananas
- 3 organic eggs
- ½ cup SunCoast Gold macadamia oil
- ½ Absolute Organic Maple Syrup
- 250g organic pineapple, diced (about half a pineapple)
- 1 tsp.Chefs Choice vanilla extract
- 2 cups OWN wholemeal spelt flour (Use gluten-free flour if required)
- 1 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill baking soda
- 1 cup OWN desiccated coconut
- 100g OWN Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 325g Mungalli ricotta
- 2 Tbsp. Absolute Organic maple syrup
- pinch Simply Organic cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Chefs Choice vanilla extract
Dairy free icing option:
- 1 sachet Well & Good plant-based Whipping cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. SunCoast Gold macadamia oil
- Preheat oven to 160oC fan-forced. Line two 20cm round cake tins with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine bananas, eggs, maple syrup, oil, vanilla essence, and baking soda.
- Add spelt flour and coconut, gently mix through. Then, fold through pineapple and walnuts.
- Divide the batter between two cake tins and bake in oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove cake from tins and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the icing by whipping ricotta, maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla in a stand-up mixer, with the whisk attachment. Add 2 tablespoons of water and continue mixing until smooth. If a dairy-free option is required, prepare the whipping cream according to packet instructions.
- Sandwich cake with icing and frost as desired.