Healthy Healing Turmeric Porridge
Dairy free | Refined sugar free | Vegan | 1399 K J/335 CAL PER SERVE
‘Images and recipes from Super Green Super Easy by Sally Obermeder and Maha Corbett (Allen & Unwin, RRP $24.99) Photography by Rob Palmer. Out now.’
- 95 g (3. oz/1 cup) rolled (porridge) oats
- 500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (to help activate the turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus extra for drizzling
- sliced banana
- flaked coconut
- nut butter
- seeds of your choice
- edible flowers
- Combine the oats and almond milk in a saucepan and place over medium–high heat. Bring to the boil, then immediately reduce the heat to medium–low and stir in the vanilla, turmeric, pepper and cinnamon.
- Cook, stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan, for a few minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the banana and honey to the porridge and stir well with a fork, ensuring the banana is evenly distributed.
- Cook, stirring now and then, for a further minute or two until thickened. Serve at once, topped with your favourite toppings. Drizzle with the extra honey. Enjoy!
Black pepper contains compounds which have been shown to boost the absorption of other compounds during digestion—including curcumin (the most active ingredient of turmeric). Curcumin is known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.