Guilt-free vegan nachos
Gluten Free, Vegan
These vegan nachos are the perfect light lunch or dinner, and a fantastic way to fit a variety of nutrients into the one meal. It’s also a great way to use up leftover vegetables towards the end of the week, and if you’ve enjoyed our garlic cashew cheese recipe these two are a match made in heaven.
What nutrients are we talking about?
Red kidney beans are a wonderful source of all 3 macronutrients; carbohydrates, protein and fiber. In fact, they are one of the richest plant sources of protein so a great option for vegetarians looking to increase their intake. Red kidney beans are also high in iron, manganese and trace mineral molybdenum which aids the detoxification of sulphites in the body.
They are also known as a detoxifier for their ability to remove sulphites from the body.
Recipe by Lauren Clayton
1 can of Absolute Organic red kidney beans
Que Pasa Mexicana mild salsa
Own organic corn chips
3 large scoops of your favourite cashew cheese (or try our garlic cashew cheese recipe above)
3 cups of organic baby spinach, chopped
½ cup sweet corn kernels
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1/3 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 large red chilli, finely chopped
2 fresh limes, halved for juicing
1 ripe avocado
1/3 Lebanese cucumber
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180
2. In a medium bowl place the spinach, corn, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber and chilli and gently stir until evenly combined. Squeeze the juice of one lime on top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix through and refrigerate until it’s time to serve.
3. On an oven-proof plate, create your corn chip base (we used ½ large packet of Flannery’s Own organic corn chips).
4. Drain red kidney beans thoroughly and scatter on top of corn chips. Pour salsa on top of your layer of beans.
5. Scoop cashew cheese on top of salsa/bean mix and spread evenly.
6. Place in oven for 20 minutes to heat thoroughly.
7. In a small bowl, place your peeled avocado and mash with a fork. Add the juice of one lime, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Remove plate from oven and place on a chopping board or secondary serving plate to avoid burns.
9. Disperse your salad evenly on top. Garnish with mashed avocado and fresh coriander.