Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto
Picture this: curling up on the couch with a warm bowl of creamy, delicious mushroom risotto. In heaven, yet? We’ve added some leeks as well, just for a hint of sweetness. Now we’re talking! Nothing beats comfort food during winter and nothing says comfort like risotto. While risotto may seem difficult, it really is just a matter of gentle stirring until the rice has absorbed the broth – a task that’s comforting in itself. Add some vegan cheese on top for the ultimate savory hit.
Vegan, Gluten free, Vegetarian
1 tbsp Flannerys Own organic olive oil
1 organic onion, diced
500g organic brown mushrooms, sliced
½ cup organic leeks, cleaned, dried and finely sliced
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
6 cups organic vegetable broth, heated
¼ cup Daiya vegan cheese, to season
Flannerys Own Himalayan salt, to season
Cracked pepper, to season
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add onion, sautéing for a few minutes until softened.
2. Add the mushrooms and leek, cover the pan and cook for a few minutes, allowing the vegetables to release their water.
3. Stir in the rice, and add 3 cups of vegetable broth, stirring gently. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add 1.5 cups of broth, stirring well again, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the final 1.5 cups of broth, stirring well, then cover and let simmer for a final 5 – 10 minutes, checking to see when the broth has been absorbed by the rice.
6. Take off the heat, add the vegan cheese and season with sea salt and pepper.