Christmas Mince Pies
Thanks to inspiration from Teresa at thehealthychef.com!
- 2 cups of Flannerys Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup Flannerys Macadamias
- 2 TBS Flannerys Organic Maple Syrup
- 2 TBS Flannerys Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 organic egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 500g organic apples, finely diced with their skin on (containing all the nutrients)
- 250g Flannerys Organic Raisins or Sultanas
- 100g Flannerys Organic Cranberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- zest from a small organic orange
- 2 cups of fresh apple juice
- Make the crust by combining the almond meal and macadamias in a food processor until well combined
- Transfer this to a mixing bowl and add the remaining crust ingredients. Use your hands to combine well into a soft dough – adding a little water if needed. Rest dough for a least half an hour.
- Dust a bench with a little coconut flour or roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Make sure to roll out large enough to cover double the number of pie/muffin tin moulds. This mixture should make roughly 10 small pies.
- Lightly grease pie/tart shells with a little coconut oil, and then cut dough into squares big enough to fit the muffin/pie moulds, allowing for depth.
- Line with pastry and then the 1 heaped TBS of fruit filling.
- With the remains of pastry, roll again and cut out shapes you wish to decorate the top of the pies with. The top pies.
- Bake in a pre-heated 150 degree oven for 30 mins or until golden brown on top.
- Add all the filling ingredients into a large saucepan, cover and simmer over low-medium heat for 1 hour.
- Stir ever so often and keep an eye on it not to boil, and add more apple juice if it looks to dry up.
- Allow to cool completely before adding it into pastry cases