Chocolate Loaf with Hidden Zucchini
Dairy-Free | Gluten-Free | Nut-free
PREP: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES
Recipe by Laura Scherian
So this is a very cheeky chocolate loaf, it is delicious but also nutritious, with zucchini being one of the main ingredients. I know you are probably very unsure about the pairing of chocolate and zucchini, but trust me it really does work. To be honest you can’t taste the zucchini, but it does provide a lot of moisture to the loaf.
This loaf is perfect for the school lunchbox, it is nut-free and freezes really well. It is extremely versatile, I have toasted it, made it into muffins and topped it with banana and nut butter or cream cheese and honey for a snack. Alternative flours can be used to make this loaf. I have tried oat flour and also spelt flour, which was my favourite. However, the featured photos are made with buckwheat flour for my gluten-free friends, which makes a denser loaf with an earthier flavour. So, when choosing a flour, consider your audience, kids may ‘buck’ a little at the buckwheat flour.
This chocolate loaf is made with clean ingredients and only sweetened with maple syrup and a little bit of dark chocolate if you choose to add it. If you are like me, and always seem to have excess zucchinis, this is the recipe for you.
- 1 ½ cups grated zucchini (Approximately 1 ½ medium zucchini)
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 ¾ cup buckwheat flour (spelt flour or oat flour can be used also for a wheat-free not gluten-free option)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 block (80g) Pico super dark chocolate, broken into small pieces (or any type of chocolate or chocolate buttons)
- 1/3 cup Loving Earth cacao powder
- ½ cup OWN coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Very Vanilla vanilla extract
- ½ cup Absolute Organic maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180o Line a loaf tin with baking paper or grease well.
- Into a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and cacao powder. Add salt and whisk together.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Add in zucchini and gently stir with a wooden spoon. Then add flour mixture and gently stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle chocolate pieces on top. Gently push chocolate pieces into the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or when a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack.