Bean and Beetroot Brownies
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegetarian
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
Who would have thought beets and beans could make such a delicious brownie? This gluten, dairy and nut free brownie is a great addition to the lunchbox, a satisfying snack or delicious dessert. These beetroot brownies are packed with quality ingredients, the addition of beets and beans add valuable nutrients that are not usually present in the humble brownie.
Beetroots are crammed with an abundance of nutrients, suchs as fibre, folate and vitamin C to name a few. Beets can also help lower blood pressure and support athletic performance. Cannellini beans add protein and fibre to the brownies and may help to control blood sugar levels. Needless to say, this is not your average brownie.
- 1 cup OWN buckwheat flour
- 4 Tbsp. OWN cacao powder
- 2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 400g can Global Organics cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 300 organic beetroot, grated
- ½ cup OWN coconut oil, melted
- 200g organic dark chocolate, melted
- 100g organic dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. OWN cashew butter
- ¼ cup Harvest rice malt syrup
- ¼ cup OWN coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp. OWN cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line an 18cm x 28cm baking tray.
- In a food processor or blender, blitz the rinsed beans and eggs until a smooth paste forms. In a large bowl combine beans mixture, coconut oil and melted dark chocolate.
- In a large bowl sift buckwheat flour and cacao powder. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix. Then, fold in beetroot and dark chocolate pieces.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in oven for 30minutes or until just cooked through. Allow to cool in pan.
- Next, prepare the icing. Whisk together cashew spread, rice malt syrup and coconut oil in a small bowl. Then, sift in cacao powder and whisk until combined well. Pour, spread or drizzle icing on brownie as desired.
Recipe by Laura Scherian